Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I get a photoshop ad ready for print in a newspaper?

I just bought photoshop, and I want to use it to put together my own brochures, ads, flyers for my products. Every week I need to send proofs of my ads to the Newspaper (O.C. Register, L.A. Times)



The problem is...I don't know where to start! I took Photoshop class years ago in school, so I'm really rusty.



Can anyone recommend what my first steps should be?



How do I ensure my ads will be the right size?



How do I get a photoshop ad ready for print in a newspaper?computer repair



Each publication will have their own custom specs (technical specifications) for how each item should be set up... dimensions, resolution, contrast levels, etc. Also, some things will depend on if you are designing in color or black and white, and what kind of press technology they are using.



So truthfully, your best bet is to get the specifications from the publishers themselves. Frequently they'll provide this information on their websites.



For example, the L.A. Times has a Media Kit site. You click on the Ad Rates tab and then there are links to specs for print or online items.



http://webapp1.latimes.com/mediakit/inde...



Oh, and as far as proofs go, many companies prefer PDF format.

No comments:

Post a Comment